There are various ways and methods to help you quit smoking. But does gender make a difference?
Are there differences between men and women in their smoking habits and their ability to give up smoking?
Here is a look at the differences in smoking habits between men and women, and whether a gender
difference really does exist in battling the fight to quit smoking.
- Women are more concerned about weight gain if they quit smoking, therefore they use this as an
- excuse to continue smoking.
- However, it is true that women have an increased appetite when they give up smoking, so they
- tend to gain more weight than men who quit.
- Men are more inclined to smoke through habit, or because it makes them feel good. They smoke
- more when they are feeling stressed or anxious.
- Women smoke to control their negative feelings. They smoke more to avoid feelings of anxiety or
- Research shows that a great deal of women on low income, smoke to have ‘time out’ from the
- demands of their children and their situation.
- More men are addicted to nicotine. Women are more addicted to social smoking.
- Heavy smoking can lead to infertility and potency problems for men.
- For women, smoking while pregnant can cause complications including the risk of miscarriage,
- low birth weight, premature birth and birth defects.
- Women who smoke also have a higher risk of early menopause and osteoporosis.
- Studies have found that men are more successful the first time round than women.
- Women find it harder to quit smoking because of the lack of emotional support, the fear of gaining
- weight, depression tendencies and hormonal imbalances.
- The number of attempts to quit smoking is higher for women than for men.
- Non smoking methods tend to differ between men and women. Nicotine replacement aids such as
- patches or gum work better for men. Women are more likely to succeed with inhalers or e
Anyone trying to cut down or quit smoking, regardless of gender, will eventually find a method that
suits them. One method may work for your partner, but not for you.
E cigarettes offer a healthier non-smoking alternative to traditional cigarettes. Whether you are
cutting down or would like to quit for good, e cigarettes can help control nicotine cravings while
providing a satisfying ‘hit’ similar to tobacco smoking.
GoSmokeFree is an online, wholesale supplier of e cigarette starter kits, tanks and other accessories
including over 400 different flavoured e liquids. Visit us online for more information.